When starting your existing Private Pay students in Oases (private pay refers to services paid for by an individual rather than an agency or contract), you will need to pick a date when you will begin their services and accounting in your Oases Database for any on-going services.
Calculate the Liabilities
For the date you have selected you must know their liability to you and your liability to them:
a. How much does your customer owe you up to the chosen start date?
b. Have any payments been made by them since that date?
c. What services have been ordered or invoiced for after that date.
You will need to make sure that these items are entered into Oases so that the transition is seamless.
You are planning to start a student that is carrying over from a prior system from March 1st in Oases.
In your previous system or manual accounting method, Mrs Smith has an invoice for 16 sessions. 8 for February and 8 for March.
The invoice is $400.00 for February and March but she has paid $200.00 towards it in February and made a payment of $100.00 towards the March sessions on March 1st.
The liabilities would be:
a. Her liability to you on your start date in Oases is $200.00 for the March sessions ($400.00 less the $200.00 February payment logged in a prior system).
b. The $100.00 payment will be entered directly into Oases as this was given to you on or after the start date.
c. Your liability is 8 hours of service in March.
Enter the above liability manually:
1. Create an invoice for the 8 hours for March. This will generate her liability of $200.00 and also release 8 hours of service to the student matching your liability. As this invoice is duplicating part of an invoice that was generated elsewhere add the text 'Transfer Balance' to the reference so you don't include it as new revenue for your tax returns.
2. Enter the $100.00 payment for March services.
This will leave the customer owing you $100.00 and free up 8 hours to be scheduled in Oases.
This example was easy as Mrs Smith had all services prior to the launch day in Oases paid up so it was a simple transition.
If the customer owes you money for services invoiced and taken before the 'go' date (they have attended sessions not paid for and those sessions will not be scheduled in Oases), enter that as an invoice with a session type of 'starting balance', quantity of one and the amount she owes you. (you will need to create this session type releasing no time (zero minutes).
If the customer is in credit with you on go day simply enter a payment to that value.
Important Note on Reference Numbers
Change the reference on invoices and payments created to add liabilities to include the number generated by Oases plus the text STARTING BALANCE or Transfer Balance so that you, your customers and accountants know that the entry is a duplicate.
You may wish to add liabilities manually so you can check that each student's liabilities are entered and scheduling performed on a one by one basis.
However if you know all of your liabilities these items may be imported via the student/parent template import.
The student/parent import template is to import private pay students with the record of the person paying for the tutoring (customer), their starting balance and hours to be tutored before their next invoice. You can enter all liabilities as mentioned above into the template and Oases will create any negative credit entries and create invoices to release hours automatically when the import is complete.
3. Go To: SET UP - DATA IMPORT - TEMPLATE IMPORT - SELECT PROGRAM
4 Complete the import template for all items other than financial columns following the header instructions. Data Import.
Liabilities may also be brought in with Field Mapping Imports, see below.
5. For Starting Balance, if they are in credit with you enter the amount they are in credit into the starting balance column.
6. To bring in existing hours that you owe in services to a student you will be working in the section - BRING IN EXISTING CREDIT HOURS INTO OASES as shown below.
7. Your session types must be configured by this time with rates and override rates programmed into the student record if relevant. This will enable Oases to create an accurate invoice to release the hours to the student and create an accurate account balance.
8. Each session type you created in Oases will have an ID behind the scenes to ensure accuracy on import. To find out the ID for each of your session types, select the Session Type ID's from the ID list section on the import page.
9 Look for the relevant session ID that the student has credit for and enter that session ID in Session Type 1.
10. In Hours 1 add how many hours the student has already paid for but not used in your previous management system. For the above example this would be 8. Or enter the hours they have booked and not paid for.
11. Complete for all session types the student still has owing if they have purchased additional services.
12. Any payments will need to be entered manually into the accounting page when the import is complete.
13. After import schedule the 8 hours of services for the student.
Field Mapped Import
14. Go To: SET UP - DATA IMPORT - FIELD MAPPED IMPORT
15. Complete your spreadsheet with all items other than financial columns following the tutorial instructions making sure to add the compulsory columns.
16. Create columns for each of the session types needed for the import and label the column with the exact name of the session type including capitalization and punctuation.
You can print a list of available column headers from the Field Mapped Import page and you can copy the session type columns from this excel sheet to your prepared sheet. (Or move your data to the available headers sheet to speed up mapping)
Each Oases database is different and has different session types but as you have just programmed them, you should spot them quite easily.
17. If you want to release 3 hours to a student of Group, just place a 3 under Group for that student row. When mapping these columns you will map to your session type name.
18. Create a column called Starting Balance to bring in their balance. For Starting Balance, if they owe you money then enter an amount with a negative symbol and if they are in credit, enter the credit amount with no symbol. Oases will automatically deal with the money accordingly. If they owe you money but it's for services not yet taken per the above example don't enter anything. Step 3 will generate an invoice and generate the amount owing.